Just across the road from the Strand Motel are two of Townsville’s popular restaurants situated directly on the waterfront, where one can dine overlooking the moonlight on Cleveland Bay. Or enjoy eating your fish and chips casually by the water.
It is worth venturing into Gregory Street which hosts several of Townsville’s new alfresco dining establishments. Gregory Street is also home to several boutiques and accessory shops.
There is a feast of other local attractions including:
- The Great Barrier Reef is on Townsville’s doorstep and no visit to Townsville is complete without seeing its underwater surprises. Whether it be day trips to view the spectacle from a glass bottom boat, swimming, diving or snorkelling.
- The Great Barrier Reef Aquarium Largest living Coral reef aquarium in the world, 3,250,000 Litre world of living breathing coral, underwater discovery tunnel, shark and predator feedings, touch tanks. Located next to Museum of Tropical Queensland, approx 400 metre walk from Strand Motel.
- Billabong Sanctuary Interactive wildlife sanctuary, hold a koala or a baby crocodile, wrap a python around your neck. Bus transfers available.
- Day trip to Magnetic Island Just a 20 min ferry ride away. Jump on the bus and check out some of the island’s 23 beaches, most of which are untouched with access via walking tracks or by road.
- Day trip to Charters Towers Previously known as The World, Charters Towers is a city built on Gold. The streets are a museum, with their rich array of historic buildings, including one of Australia’s first regional Stock Exchanges.
- Castle Hill 300 meters high. Walk or drive at sunrise or sunset – magic! Approximately 500 metres from The Strand Motel.
- Dining Out / Entertainment
- Jupiter’s Casino: 15 min walk from Strand Motel
- Gregory Street Cafes: All a 2 minute walk from The Strand Motel
- Townsville Entertainment Centre, home of Townsville Crocodiles Basketball Team, is a 15 minute walk from the motel
- Local Events To seek information about happenings and events in the Townsville region visit the Queensland Holidays website
- SunBus Timetable For local transport check the timetable
- Townsville City Council also has useful information about the area.
Looking from the balcony over The Strand Esplanade